The editors of documentary films possess special skills. They don't work from scripts. They make them.
Working with reams of raw footage, they shape story, define theme and reveal meaning. The special recognition they deserve for their work comes in the shape of Best Editor awards from the Cinema Eye Honors and the International Documentary Association, if not from the Oscars. And from their professional peers in ACE (American Cinema Editors) who present their annual Eddie Awards in two categories for editing documentaries.
The 2013 Eddie Award nominees are:
Best Edited Documentary Feature:
- Samsara - Ron Fricke and Mark Magidson
- Searching for Sugar Man - Malik Bendjelloul
- West of Memphis - Billy McMillin
Best Edited Documentary Television:
- American Masters - Phil Ochs: There But For Fortune - Pamela Scott Arnold
- The Dust Bowl - Episode 1: The Great Plow Up - Craig Mellish
- The Weight of the Nation: Episode 1: Consequences - Paula Heredia
Congrats to these extraordinary storytellers, and all the others who work in documentary film.