- Her Master's Voice - Directed by Nina Conti, UK - All about truth in ventriloquism!
- The Perfect Victim - Directed by Elizabeth Rohrbaugh (US) - A film about women who were convicted of murdering their husbands, without being allowed to inform the court that they were victims of spousal violence and abuse.
- Seeking Asian Female - Debbie Lum (US) - The filmmaker follows an American white guy who trolls the Intenet to find an Asian bride, and does.
- We Women Warriors - Nicole Karsin (US) - Three strong and determined tribal women in rural Colombia struggle to keep their people and culture alive in the face of growing political instability and violence towards indiginous peoples.
- The World Before Her - Nisha Pahuja (Canada) - Traditional and contemporary culture clash in India, where the filmmaker follows young women who endure a month-long beauty boot camp so they can compete in the Miss India beauty pageant and those who go to Hindu training camps to learn traditional women's roles and martial arts to defend their faith against infidels.
The EDA Award for Best Documentary Directed by A Women will be presented at the St Louis International Film Festival's closing ceremonies on November 18, 2012, along with the EDA Award for Best Narrative Feature Directed by A Woman.
The Alliance of Women Film Journalists members on the documentary award jury are Monika Bartyzel (Movies.com), Jeanne Wolf (Parade Magazine), Karen Krizanovich (Radio Times), Jette Kernion (Slackerwood.com) and Michelle McCue (WeAreMovieGeeks.com).
The Alliance of Women Film Journalists also presented EDA Awards for Best Documentary Directed by A Women at Salem Film Fest
and Sheffield Doc/Fest
earlier this year.
(Disclosure: I am president of the Alliance of Women Filmmakers, as is About.com's Rebecca Murray, and I am on the jury panel for the EDA Award for Best Narrative Feature Directed by A Woman.) (PHOTO: Alliance of Women Film Journalists logo. Courtesy Alliance of Women Film Journalists.)